IBTCI is currently looking for a Consultant/Research and Evaluation Assistant to support the USAID/West Africa funded Evidence for Development (E4D) activity, which is based in Accra, Ghana. The Consultant/Research and Evaluation Assistant will adhere to IBTCI standard operating procedures and ethical guidelines while supporting the research and evaluation activities of the project.
The Consultant/Research and Evaluation Assistant will be hired for a maximum duration of six (6) months. They will support the Senior Research Advisor and the Research Specialist in designing and implementing Evaluations and Operations Research. The position is based at the E4D field office in Accra with potential travel to the six E4D focus countries (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Mauritania, Togo and Niger).
The position is a six (6) month consultancy, not permanent employment.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Consultant/Research and Evaluation Assistant will perform the following duties, responsibilities, and activities which include but are not limited to:
• Assist in developing and implementing the E4D Evaluations and Operations research;
• Work with capacity building recipient institutions to implement systems for capturing data that allow measuring progress against agreed outcomes;
• Lead the process of obtaining ethical approval;
• Develop study tools, training manuals and field guides to use for data collection;
• Coordinate the recruitment, training and supervision of consultants and field teams;
• Coordinate field work and be responsible for data quality;
• Conduct literature reviews and participate in the development of research protocols;
• Prepare regular field and project reports;
• Participate in the dissemination of research findings and policy briefs with appropriate audiences;
• Prepare the implementation tools: policy briefs, fact sheets and presentations from the projects’ findings;
• Assist in drafting monthly, quarterly and annual reports for research and evaluation activities;
• Work with commissioned external evaluators and other consultants to ensure that they have access to the required people and data in order to meet agreed targets;
• Generate data in a format agreed to with the Senior Research and Evaluation Advisor or the Chief of Party for reports to donors;
• Produce reports for clients and any other reporting requirements (i.e. presentations);
• Undertake other responsibilities as directed by the Chief of Party or Senior Research and Evaluation Advisor;
• This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with the client; and
• This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final deliverables.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience conducting operations research and managing a research team;
• Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet tight deadlines.
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office operating system and knowledge of multiple statistical and/or qualitative software packages such as STATA or SPSS, Atlas ti or NVivo;
• Ability to assist in creating effective and efficient systems for gathering and analyzing complex data;
• Ability to take initiative, be self-motivating and exceed targets;
• Ability to work collaboratively;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Ability to be highly organized, in order to manage and prioritize workload;
• Excellent oral and written communication in English; and
• Ability to communicate in French is required.
• At least 3 years of post-graduate experience, preferably in a research setting.
Master of Science in Sociology, Demography, Economics, Public Health, Social Work, Anthropology or related disciplines.
This position does not entail supervisory responsibility.
This position may involve up to 10-20% travel in the West Africa region.